3.15.2013

Good Dirt


I started my seeds indoors this week.  Love putting on some tunes, gathering my supplies, and that smell when you add water to the organic seed starting mixture, dirt dust circling up from the bucket and dissipating into the smell of damp earth, pungent newness.  Such good stuff.


Once planted, I move the tray to the top of my dryer.  This warm, dark space works great for sprouting.  Once sprouts appear, I move the tray to a south facing window that gets really good sunlight most of the day.  Of course grow lights would be ideal.  For example, my plants are usually much leggier at transplanting time than my neighbor's plants who uses grow lights.  But for now this method of mine works so I'll keep going with it.  One of these years (ahem) I'll carve out a little space in the basement to set up a table with lights.


This weekend I'm planning on planting sweet peas, beets, radishes and carrots in the raised beds, and starting a big pot of arugula.  I've added a few new things to my garden this year, planned anyway.  Bread and salt tomatoes, golden bantam corn, cimmaron (a blushing red romaine!), golden zucchini, charentais melon, and an assortment of flowers.   Of course there will inevitably be the handful of starts at my local nursery that will just beg me to bring them home and plant them, and I will.
 
How about you?  What new seeds are you trying this year?  Also, I tend to order my seeds from Baker Creek (love them!), but have been noticing some other companies that have piqued my interest.  What are some of your favorite seed companies?  ps.  preferably heirloom

9 comments :

  1. I'm doing the same this weekend - CAN NOT WAIT!!!! I got a bunch of rainbow varieties from Cubits - carrots, radishes, beets and swiss chard and we're all really excited about that. I officially quit on trying to start any tomatoes or peppers this year, but I'm still going to try with some herbs and flowers:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lillian! I've only recently learned of Cubits. Super excited to check them out.

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious and beautiful!! I promised myself I wouldn't do any starts this years because - PRESSURE! - gardening and newborns are a disastrous combination in my house. But with the beautiful weather I'm really doubting my decision! I ordered several items (tomatoes and carrots) from Seed Savers Exchange last year and had pretty good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy that babe! I will have plenty of plants to give you. :)

      Delete
  3. I *just* planted peas, fava beans, spinach, cilantro, kale, arugula, lettuce (yugoslavian red, or something) and radishes. It's a total crap-shoot to be planting outside this early (we still have lots of snow!), but I'm trying. I'll have to cover them with sleeping bags come Sunday night. Keeping my fingers crossed for early greens : )

    I need to start tomatoes and peppers indoors, but don't have a great place to put them once sprouted.

    I took a local gardening class on Wednesday and she had all sorts of catalogues. "Gourmet Seed" (or something) comes to mind. I've also ordered from Seed Savers Exchange in the past and like them. "Irish Eyes" is a good catalogue for short-season varieties. I am hoping to try some colorful varieties of cauliflower...orange and a purplish-pink. We'll see. So many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post makes me so excited for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We started earlier this week. Most excited this year to try growing a variety of english cucumbers this year. We have always done the smaller variety so we will see how it goes.

    -Angelika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness, I wish I was in the planting mode. We just signed a new lease and will be moving to another house, only minutes away, but still...I guess it's re-planting of a different kind ;).
    Can't wait to see your garden grow!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete