2.22.2013

Always, So Very Grateful

Aspen "eyes" and hot tubing cousins

I am proud to report that I successfully rode my snowboard for two days and only detected minimal rust, noticeable mostly at the top of the chairlift when I'd strap both feet into my bindings then have to rely heavily on my abdomen - that same one that has stretched to accommodate the growth of two full-term fetuses - to tighten up and pull my whole self upright, on a downhill slope.  That part caused me some sweat.  But once up, I pointed downhill and went, following my family, following Theo.

At times I would make huge "S" turns, taking up the width of the run.  Other times, I tightened up my line and hugged the trees the whole way down.   I breathed deeply, so grateful for open space, fresh air, a quiet perspective, just right for clearing my head of the little things that have been feeling "off" lately.  



Riding in the chair behind Theo, Eric, and a little one in ski school who needed to share the chair, filled me with enough peace to last a long time.  Watching Sully exit the magic carpet and glide down on two little skis stretched my heartstrings even more.


Checked off the bucket list:  ice skating with my little ones.  


We pulled on to the interstate headed for home, this truck in front of us full of pine beetle kill wood.  I wondered what the logs will become?  I thought about the three raised beds made of pine beetle wood that my neighbor friends and I will be putting in this spring, side by side, even more opportunity to garden together, grow together, sip herb garnished mojitos together.  

Family, friends, seasons, breathing space...

Always, so very grateful.




8 comments :

  1. Looks like a marvelous and magical vacation!

    I love that pine kill beetle. I'd like to be able to buy it at Home Depot, please. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbor found a small local company making raised garden beds, planters, etc. out of it. I'll get the link to you.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a memorable vacation. The picture of the snowy walking boys is fantastic. Oh and do keep us upated on the local company that makes the raised garden beds. I think we need to replace one of ours at the CO house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so jealous! I'm dying to go snowboarding, this is my first year sitting out in forever, but I'm pregnant and obviously it's worth the sacrifice. Glad you guys enjoyed it. The pine beetle infestation is such a tragedy. I wonder if in a few decades there just won't be pine trees out west, it's crazy how fast that devastation has occurred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can sympathize with you. I spent quite a bit of time off the slopes between pregnancies and nursing schedules. This is my first season in almost six years that I'm back out without any real hangups, and to have Theo with us is just magical.

      Delete
  4. sugar lips! love that. now i want a donut.

    and that last photo of y'all. priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were yummy donuts too! ;)

      Delete
  5. So glad you had a great time and Wooohoooo for shaking off that rust on the board!!! My kids haven't learned yet, in fact they have some lessons today, but I do dream of riding with them one day. Another milestone awaits ;). Hugs Katie and have a great weekend!
    xo

    ReplyDelete