11.29.2012

Winter-ish Lentil Soup


Winter-ish Lentil Soup
{adapted from Real Simple}

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 med. onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, partially drained
2 sm/med yellow potatoes, diced
1/2 bunch red chard, chopped in strips
1/2 c. brown lentils
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cardamom
1-2 tbsp. butter
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat.  Add onions and celery, stirring occasionally until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.  Add tomatoes and potatoes and cook 5 more minutes.  Add 6 cups of water, chard, lentils and spices.  Generously salt and pepper.  Bring to a simmer.  Taste to see if more spices need to be added.  Let simmer for 25-30 minutes.  Just before serving add 1-2 tbsp. butter.  Let melt and stir.  Serve with grated parmesan and warm, crusty bread.

:: Notes ::
The original recipe is from Real Simple.  They use leeks, sweet potatoes, kale, no celery.  Their recipe only calls for ground thyme as a spice.  I used ingredients I had on hand (onions, celery, red chard, yellow potatoes).  I also wanted it to have a bit more flavor so I went with the blend of spices above.  I also added more spices than the recipe calls for - seasoning to taste as I go.  At the end, just before serving, I added 2 tbsp. butter because butter makes everything taste better. (wink!)

3 comments :

  1. Looks delicious, lentil soup is one of my very favorite things on earth... especially in the winter.

    xox Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I'm on a total soup kick lately, so I'm adding this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think this is your veyr own lentil soup, not adapted, but rather inspired by. lol delish! i love lentil soup, and those spices you chose too.

    ReplyDelete