10.14.2012

Back Home.


As I pull clothes out of suitcases sand falls through my fingers.  Our clothes still moist and smelling of the ocean, but when I breathe in deeply I do not feel my breath of simple ingredients that I have taken in so effortlessly, mostly, these past days - salt, water, sun, horizon.  And that ocean smell is no longer fresh and briny.  Now it is dank and saturated in the fibers, a memory.  And sand is sand.

It takes me a few days upon returning from traveling to come back to my senses, especially when visiting a place with such zest.  I am processing, remembering, stowing stories in my mind.  Don't cry because it's over.  Smile because it happened.   I must remind myself.  For now, a little local flavor. 

5 comments :

  1. Beautiful memories! I've never been to Mexico, but I imagine I'd like to visit someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it was a wonderful adventure. Such great colors!

    xo Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome home! i know the feeling, it takes a couple of days to accept the return, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete