9.26.2012

Withering Beauty {23/52}


I was driving him to school this morning when I saw the coyote.  We live in a sea of houses, here and there a patch of prairie, still.  He was in one of those patches, a layer of golden light suspended just above the dry grasses, weeds, crusted dirt, rock.  I pulled over and we watched him.  Theo thought he was looking for bugs or a rabbit to eat.  To me he looked a bit on the small side, wild and beautiful.  With that light the moment felt primal, mesmerizing.

Safe travels across that busy road, I whispered as we drove away.   And I couldn't help but feel wholly out of place, like I'm doing it all wrong somehow.

52 Photos Project

11 comments :

  1. I get this. Whenever the island's black fox greets me by the public restrooms by the ferry terminal, I wonder if we're altogether in the wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture, coyote's scare me... we actually have the occasional one here despite how urban it is but part of me suspects our version are actually overgrown raccoon's :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can be quite intimidating, especially when they're in a pack. Overgrown racoon's...! ;)

      Delete
  3. we have many coyotes around us in the woods. my daughter likes to listen to their howling and yelping at night.

    beautiful shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the pink in the photo - totally unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, yes.
    We heard coyotes in the middle of the night on a recent camping trip. Col slept right through it, but Rose, sleeping on my other side, said "that was special," before clunking back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. SO BEAUTIFULLY SAID.If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that you wonder why we have to worry for them....what a world...all of us taking up their space.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much that, and perhaps we should be living a bit less urban - my soul is of the spacious kind, natural space - by the shore, in the country...

      Delete
  7. Such color amidst the rust! I saw a fox cross the street from one part of the woods to another one evening while walking my dogs, and it made me shiver. It made me wonder what sort of life goes on while we are tucked in our houses, sleeping. Perhaps it becomes "their" hour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photo! I hear you - we are suburban, at the end of the road by a forest. The best of both worlds I think, I don't know. Thank you for linking up this week.

    ReplyDelete