9.18.2012

Simple Daily Salad


I usually make some type of salad every night for dinner.  This is one that I make most weekdays.  With an abundance of heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers from our garden right now, I simply add goat's milk feta and a dressing of some sort.  Last night I used Annie's Green Goddess because I felt like something creamy.  Usually I dress the veggies in red wine vinegar, a splash of olive oil, fresh ground pepper.  Newman's Own Greek salad dressing is another favorite around here.  

On the weekend days I get more creative with our dinner salads.  With fall's arrival I start craving roasted nuts, cranberries, soft and stinky creamy cheeses, candied bacon (Ina's recipe!), spinach.  During the summer months I love assorted lettuces with feta or freshly grated extra-sharp cheddar, crumbled hard boiled eggs, garbanzo beans, beets, radishes, fresh herbs to give that digestive quality.  Sometimes, I'll make a batch of croutons if we have a loaf of artisan bread that's drying out quicker than we can eat it. 

But this simple daily salad always satisfies.  And my kiddos love it which is a mega bonus.

3 comments :

  1. Sounds very tasty. We love salad here too and my husband is the self-appointed 'salad king' so he is in charge. Such a great compliment to our meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. salads are so amazing and so versatile. this looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we love salads, too. i finally learned to make way more than I think we can eat at a sitting, because the kids will always have two or three helpings! and homemade croutons!!! we don't eat the store-bought ones anymore. I pick up day old artisan bread from the bakery for pennies to make ours. :)

    ReplyDelete