6.26.2012

Today.


There is a quietude to our house today.

The boys ask me if I'll put Space Buddies on.  It is 3:30 in the afternoon, still time to do so much.  But it is so hot, and this heat is weighing me down.  So I tell them yes, they can watch a movie.  And I make an iced mocha.

Two love notes linger.  Seven years married.

Summer of Reading booklets cover the kitchen island, needing to be filled out, prizes claimed.

A few weeks ago I bought a Polaroid Land Camera.  I paid eighteen dollars for it.  It has five unused sheets of film in it.  As far as I know, Polaroid no longer makes film for these cameras.  I've been thinking hard about what five photos I will take.  Five photos!  Nature?  The shore in Maine next month?  The little ones?  Will they even turn out?

A new bird family has taken up residence around our house.  I've been watching them closely; my neighbor, too.  Between her guide book and mine we have decided this new beauty is a Say's Phoebe.  Their bellies -rusty cantaloupe - so beautiful.  I listen to their song as I tidy up the kitchen.  Peer-ur, peer-ur.  Inside, I listen to my silent call, blessed, blessed.

5 comments :

  1. Ooooh -I have been DYING to get my hands on a Land Camera! Polaroid doesn't make it anymore, but Fuji makes instant film that you can use! Can't WAIT to hear how it goes:) http://www.adorama.com/FJFP100CN.html
    http://www.adorama.com/FJFP3000B.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lillian, you just made me so so happy! I'm on it. And, if I come across another Land Camera, I'll send it to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it went you write about the stuff you are anticipating. It does make it very exciting to think how things might be.

    And I agree on the heat. Let's hope we're done now. I don't want to speculate on any other scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel the quietude...


    i just got a polaroid recently. i have taken 5 pictures so far! waiting for the photo to develop is like waiting for a report card and opening a christmas present both at once.
    have you looked at
    http://www.the-impossible-project.com/

    also...amazon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, thank you for the link. Very fascinating.

      Delete