5.29.2012

The Real First Day

Even though summer break officially began last Friday, today is the real first day.  Marked by the pitter patter of 4 bare feet instead of the usual 2 following behind me as I drug the hose around my garden beds.  And as I crouched down to inspect the overnight damage to my seedlings by earwigs, the pitter patter dispersed like marshmallow clouds floating by in the bright blue sky.


I didn't have to look far for my pirates.  I know where they like to go.  My neighbor's garden.  Her stone path, the one that reminds me of choose your own adventure stories because when I watch my boys walk on them they never take the same route; rocks to upturn, sure to find a worm; pebbles, little gemstone-like treasure to poke with a stick; then there's the strawberries to loot; and yesterday there was even a turtle wandering about.  A turtle!

5 comments :

  1. That garden is AMAZING! And a turtle?? So exciting! It is so absolutely summertime - I'm so happy about that:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lillian - we happen to be lucky and live next door to a master gardener. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, I'd love to hang out in a garden like this, too. Preferably until the last day of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoy this time with them, because it really will pass like clouds in the sky! What cuties they are, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good to know I have some pirates in my garden watching over things!!

    ReplyDelete