5.07.2012

After the Rain

Last night
the rain
spoke to me
slowly, saying,
what joy
to come falling
out of the brisk cloud,
to be happy again
in a new way
on the earth!
That’s what it said
as it dropped,
smelling of iron,
and vanished
like a dream of the ocean
into the branches
and the grass below.
Then it was over.
The sky cleared.
I was standing
under a tree.
The tree was a tree
with happy leaves,
and I was myself,
and there were stars in the sky
that were also themselves
at the moment
at which moment
my right hand
was holding my left hand
which was holding the tree
which was filled with stars
and the soft rain –
imagine! imagine!
the long and wondrous journeys
still to be ours.

Last Night the Rain Spoke to Me -Mary Oliver
*
Today - around our yard after the rain.

6 comments :

  1. that poem begs to be read, reread aloud just as those lovely pics beg to be framed, hung.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for rain!!!! Love the poem. Love Mary Oliver.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. ****love Mary Oliver*****

    delicious words and beautiful photos

    there IS something about that time after the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, there *is* definitely something about that time after the rain. :)

      Delete
  4. I get so excited when it rains. I love to photograph the raindrops. Also love Mary Oliver. You did a wonderful job with these photos - esp. loving that purple flower. We have them growing around here but I've never captured them on camera as well as you did there. Beautiful Beautiful post! Thank you for the gorgeous words and the eye candy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jenn June. Something about photographing droplets of water. Cleansing? Reviving? Hopeful? ...
    And thank goodness for the Iris. Beauty. :)

    ReplyDelete