5.31.2012

37

I dreamt last night of a day long ago.  It was near the end of my senior year of high school.  I had just turned 18.  My cousin, our friend, and I drove to the beach.  Windows down, hair blowing carelessly, sun setting.  We brought with us a few quilts and pillows, wine, snacks.  For the next few hours we sat on the quilts and gabbed, sipped wine, pelican watched, set our gaze on the horizon.  Now completely dark and alone on our stretch of shore, we made a bed.  Two quilts on the sand, three pillows side by side, one quilt to cover us.  I remember how huge the world felt that night.  I remember the stars in the coal sky.  I remember something being said now and then and we'd just laugh and laugh.  And there was nothing in the world that mattered, just laughter and the soft roll of waves licking the shore lullabying us to sleep. 

 self-portrait "37"

I am still that girl who slept under the stars all those years ago, holding those I love dear and near.  Today is my 37th birthday.

15 comments :

  1. Happy Birthday! I hope you get to snuggle under a quilt with a glass of wine in hand tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 31, 2012

    Happy birthday Katie! My birthday wish is you capture that feeling you had all those years ago again TODAY! CELEBRATE!

    ~Angelika

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a glorious night . . . hope you can fit some of that magic into your 37th birthday. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were the days. It was so amazing to be on that private beach and enjoying every minute of it. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 31, 2012

    Happy Birthday!! Your 37th makes me feel old, but SO honored to be your sister!! I love you!!! Cheers to you, and hoping that today,and every day, you feel the peace and love that you felt under the stars!
    XO!! L

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy birthday beautiful! i love the story of sleeping under the stars...something i haven't done in far too long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday Katie! Love the self portrait - you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday beautiful lady! May this year be magical and filled with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy happy birthday Katie!!!! May you continue to dream under the stars!!!
    xo
    ps. LOVE the selfie, it's lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love how you caught the light in those photos! happy birthday to a woman who has the wisdom to appreciate all the little things in life and then to share it with us
    -aren't we lucky you were born.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Katie! Hope it's a beautiful one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Beautiful lovely friend. You words from these last few posts stick in my mind - such lovely prose. And I love the color captured in these pictures. And, yeah, amazing self portrait. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! You will never be so old that you don't still feel like that young girl inside. She never goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy (belated) birthday!!!

    Love the photos, but your self-portrait is stunning! So much natural beauty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. happy birthday, beautiful dreamer.

    ReplyDelete